Why Python is your best friend if you want to be a Data Scientist
Bargava Subramanian (~bargava) |
Harvard Business Review hailed data scientist the sexiest job of the 21st Century.
- What is data science?
- Who is a data scientist?
- What's the typical day/week/month routine of a data scientist?
- Can you walk me through a data science project?
This talk will try to answer those questions.
I want to enter the field of data science? What language should I learn? Python. Undoubtedly. Per kdnuggets' 2014 survey, more than 1/3 of data scientists use Python. And it is on the rise.
How about understanding the Python stack for data science, its stability and versality by looking at a detailed example/demo? This talk showcases an entire end-to-end implementation of a data analytics platform.
What is a data analytics platform? This talk will cover that too.
The talk will walk you through the various major stages of a data science project. Particular emphasis will be on:
- Data Munging
- Machine Learning
- Integration with the application (including visualization)
Whoa! That's a lot of tasks. Is it really hard and time-consuming to do this? Well, this was done in about a week. But yes, some parts were time consuming. But Python simplies a lot of those tasks. The talk will show you how!
Interest in Analytics
Bargava Subramanian is a Senior Statistician(Data Scientist) at Cisco. He has a Masters from University of Maryland, College Park, USA.
- Introduction to Classification Methods in Machine Learning, Fifth Elephant 2014, Bangalore
- Data processing using Blaze, BangPypers Jan 2015, Bangalore
- Visualization Libraries in Python, BangPypers Apr 2015, Bangalore