RIP Nagios. Hello Docker Shinken!
Rohit Gupta (~rohit01) |
This talk is about how to write "Infrastructure Monitoring as code"..
IT Infrastructure monitoring is often ignored in startups until the customer shouts "Hey your services are DOWN, and I am really really angry". When IT infrastructure (like servers, network devices, etc.) monitoring is not there, this info is also a news -- embarrassment :|.
Heard of Nagios, Icinga, Sensu, zabbix or Shinken? These are tools for IT infrastructure monitoring. However, each of these tools has a steep learning curve. Enter "docker shinken". Just run the docker container and a full featured monitoring system is up and running. Add new hosts and services with ease. Check history, graphs and intuitive UI. It has everything, you desire.
Many reasons. It is written in "python". It has a highly distributed architecture best suited for cloud environments. Modern features like AWS integration, dynamic inventory, and many more. Simple and good performance.
Draft plan - topics to be covered
- Quick Introduction:
- Problems with Nagios
- Why Shinken is better
- Why Docker_Shinken makes sense
- Quick Demo: Share link with public access
Configuring checks in Shinken:
- Introduction to NRPE and agentless checks
- What to monitor:
- System metrics: like load, disk, sensors, network, dns, users, etc
- Processes and ports: like nginx or apache listening on port 80
- Application specific data: like shards in elasticsearch, db replication, etc
- NRPE agent configuration (nrpe.cfg) for monitoring
- Shinken side configuration and deployment
Presentation draft: http://www.rohit.io/res/posts/devops-meetup-knowlarity/rip_nagios_hello_docker_shinken/
Blog post: http://www.rohit.io/blog/rip-nagios-hello-docker-shinken.html
- Shinken Thruk Graphite: https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/rohit01/shinken_thruk_graphite/
- Shinken Thruk: https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/rohit01/shinken_thruk/
- Shinken Basic: https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/rohit01/shinken/
Rohit Gupta is a developer, foss evangelist and Indian nationalist. He is passionate about technology and has worked in the area of convergence of telephony over the web. Some of the projects he has worked upon include automating the cloud management over Amazon Web Service using boto, enabling high availability, failover solution and auto-scaling to ensure zero downtime and un-interrupted service to customers. As a FOSS enthusiast, he was instrumental in organizing the first ever Linux InstallFest, founded the GNU/Linux User Group and presented FOSS tech talks in his University.