Deep dive into Ansible Modules - Build your own Ansible Module

rdas


5

Votes

Description:

Extend Ansible. Use the Ansible Python API to build your own ansible module.

Ansible is an IT automation tool which can be used to configure and deploy applications on you infrastructure. It can be used as a configuration management, deployment and orchestration tool. Ansible provides a number of modules which cover 90% of the required tasks. For the remaining 10%, there exists a need to extend Ansible. This can be achieved by creating custom modules or plugins.

The talk will cover:

  • What is ansible
  • What are ansible modules
  • How can you create your own ansible module in python.
  • Demo

In this talk, we will create an Ansible module for 'dmidecode', a tool to collect system information like BIOS, Processor and System Information. It returns dmidecode result as JSON. This is a custom module I was working on and is not an official Ansible module.

Advantages:

  1. You get dmidecode information of your infrastructure.
  2. Output is JSON.

At the end of this talk, you'll have a better understanding of what Ansible modules are, and you'll be able to write your own Ansible module.

Prerequisites:

Working knowledge of Ansible.

Content URLs:

Source Code - https://github.com/rishabhdas/dmidecode-ansible Presentation PDF - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ycml0vtiYJV3J0WmpoWXBQdEk/view?usp=sharing

Presentation is an outline of contents that will be covered, Covers most of the planned topics, However slides may change.

Speaker Info:

Rishabh is an Associate Software Engineer currently working in Red Hat, is based in Pune and has 3 years of experience. At Red Hat his focus is to manage cloud infrastructure and write Ansible playbooks for different project deployments, He is responsible for automation (CI/CD).

Speaker Links:

Talk on Ansible in Python Pune Meetup - http://rishabhdas.github.io/GitLab-Ansible/ Blog : http://saliux.wordpress.com/ Twitter : https://twitter.com/rshbhdas GitHub : https://github.com/rishabhdas

Section: Infrastructure
Type: Talks
Target Audience: Intermediate
Last Updated:

Please add an outline of your talk to the description. Otherwise this looks good.

Kushal Das (~kushal)

Login to add a new comment.