What's new in Python 3.8
Xtreak (~tirkarthi) |
Outline of the talk
The talk gives an overview of the new features along with optimizations and security improvements in Python 3.8.
Slides : https://github.com/tirkarthi/pycon-india/blob/master/pycon-2019.pdf
New features in 3.8
Optimizations in 3.8
- 1.6x speed up in namedtuple attribute access.
- Optimisation of argument parsing for positional and keyword arguments for built-in functions.
- math.prod - A faster way to calculate product of a sequence.
- Some benchmarks of improvements.
Security for Python 3 and EoL of Python 2
- General note on CPython security practices.
- Security support for Python 2 after Jan 1, 2020.
I will add more feature links as the first beta of 3.8 is released on 2019-05-27 that closes the merge window for features.
- Slides : https://github.com/tirkarthi/pycon-india/blob/master/pycon-2019.pdf
I am a backend engineer using Python and Django at work. I am part of CPython core triager team. I have been contributing for a year with around 25 patches committed to master. My interests are unittest.mock and security. I primarily help with bug triaging and reviews.
- PRs to CPython : https://github.com/python/cpython/pulls/tirkarthi
- Blog : http://tirkarthi.github.io/