Chatops using Python - Bringing developers and operations together, making tasks easier!
The wikipedia definition of ChatOps is, a collaborative, conversation-centric way of working that brings people, discussions, bots, tools and files together in one central location: the workplace messaging app. That's it! That's what exactly I am gonna talk about.
I am gonna talk about Chatops bot, Errbot which is written in python and can be used across various messaging apps like Hipchat, Slack, telegram, skype, etc.
Using chatops one can automate the tedious, boring tasks and let the bot do the work for you. It also enables various engineering teams to collaborate and exchange information easily at one place: their official messaging app.
Contents of the talk:
- I will start the talk with a brief introduction of myself and my journey with python.
- Introduce chatops - culture, uses, possibilities.
- I will talk about the possible scenarios where we could use chatops in our daily tasks.
- I will then introduce Errbot and its plugin architecture.
- Tell audience about various features of errbot and its builtin plugins.
- Demonstrate errbot to audience by creating a command and using it in Slack.
- How to set up a alternate storage for errbot.
- I will conclude the talk explaining the ACLs(Access control List) in errbot.
- Basic Python
- Passion for automation
- Will to learn
My name is Hari Kishore Sirivella. I have good experience with different verticals like testing, developing, devops and SRE in my 4 years of IT profession. I like to explore technology and reinvent myself, started as a manual tester in TCS, to selenium automation tester, to devops engineer, to my current role Site Reliability Engineer at Opentable. Passion towards development and will to learn operations, made me travel across various verticals and eventually land as SRE, where I get to work on both worlds - develop products and maintain them.
As a selenium automation tester, I used to work on core Java and was introduced to python just 8 months back, with a task to introduce chatops in my organisation.
I have developed and led a team, Voice based web browser as my final year project in my engineering, where you get to browse the internet , bookmark a page, navigate previous and next pages using your voice commands. The browser also reads out text enabling differently challenged persons to use it seamlessly.
I work on lot of open source projects.
I'm also a Machine Learning and Data Science enthusiast.