Automating Open Source communities on Blockchain: A transparent way to manage Organizations
Akshay Arora (~akshayaurora) |
Open Source Communities and their management.
- How things work currently
- A case study of different open source organizations:
- Advantages and disadvantages of current systems.
The issues with Open Source organizations are nothing new, what are the possible solutions available?
- DAO and automation of majority of the tasks of a "Open by default organizations"
- What part of the organization can be automated, what can't.
Important Aspects that usually breed trust among members:: - Transparency - Consistency & Automation - Inclusion & support
We will be posting codebase and complete websites and mobile apps that offer these solutions:
- Automated and transparent membership procedure.
- Transparent Public Elections on Blockchain for a
boardwith automated publication of votes and results.
- Automate votes based on proposals
- Automated Procedure to apply for grants: with voting members and results being put up on Blockchain
- Automated meetings with MOM being recorded and put up on blockchain.
Testing Proposal from the ground up:
Start Small and test if these methods work locally in meetup groups - Automation of Tasks around meetups: ... We will keep updating here as and when we have deployed solutions on blockchain
Tools used for these automation:
Blockchain Dapps using : Solidity & Vyper Python: Kivy Framework for mobile apps and Web3.js & other such frameworks.
Repos: They will be made online shortly, currently the experimentation is going on the following repos: https://blockchaindevs.github.io/MeetupDAO please excuse for the alpha quality of the software as they are just experiments as of now.
This is a open source initiative based on the needs we feel we have seen arise in open source communities around us.
Use this proposal as a catalyst and create small Organizations in local communities testing this theory.
If things work in local communities, create a
National Level Organizationfor managing the tasks around PyCon India
This is just one of the hopefully multiple proposed solutions for moving on post PSSI.
A willing ness to contribute, ability to learn. Open Mind to experiment even if it leads to failure.
Akkshay is huge open source enthusiast, he has helped bootstrap different communities around Kivy, PyDelhi, ILUGD, BlockchainDevs , HyperLedger Delhi/NCR & chaired conferences like PyDelhiConf, Pycon-India, Global Blockchain Conference.
He has been involved and working on blockchain based projects from 2011 onwards, he is one of the core developers of Kivy python framework & Electrum bitcoin wallet that has been built on top of it.