The trends in choosing licenses in Python ecosystem
Anwesha Sarkar (~anwesha) |
The software licenses are the permissions over copyrighted software. The permission and/ grant includes the grant to use, to redistribute, to prepare derivative works etc. These software licenses also set forth the limitations over these aforesaid rights. The software licenses basically marks the boundary for the usage of the code.
Therefore from the above mentioned introduction it very clear that it is very important for developers to choose the license for their code wisely and correctly.
Pypi, the Python Package Index is a repository of software for the Python programming language. There are currently 80000+ packages there.
This talk will go through the licenses of the top 2500 packages. We will see the trend of choosing a license for these top Python projects. We will discuss the licenses individually, compare them with each other. the advantages and disadvantages of the same.
We will further explain that why a license and/or licenses are being favoured by the developers.
- Introduction of the Speaker
- What is Copyright?
- What is a software license?
- The Kinds of licenses
- What is the PyPI project?
- Graphs and charts explaining the license usage
- Python Packages in Fedora land
- Details of these FOSS licenses
- The advantages and disadvantages of various FOSS licenses
- Comparison of the same
- What are the points to be kept in mind while choosing a license
Actually none. This talk intends to give a very basic and introductory session about software licenses.
Anwesha Das, an Advocate practicing law for 6 years. She is an active user of FOSS technologies. She contributes to Fedora Project. One of her major goal is to help the FOSS developers with the legal aspect of the software industry.
- http://2016.fossasia.org/schedule/#ISC-17 (Talk link to FOSSASIA 2016)