- Web Development
- Session type
- Technical level
The talk will be a highly interactive session with following things overall:
- When to build an API? Keep it with existing web application or extract the API app out?
- API versioning. Pros & Cons and controversy.
- Authentication and pagination for RESTful APIs.
- Framework support. Unit testing, presentation of resources. Builders vs format serializers.
- Hypermedia as Engine of application state (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HATEOAS )
Also, I am a core contributor to Rails, EventMachine (twisted thingy but for Ruby), Fog (A Ruby cloud library), Rubinius (pypy for Ruby) and have written several popular libraries of my own. Contributed to community effort such as - "Advanced Rails recipes" book.
As a consultant and co-founder of Codemancers (http://www.codemancers.com), in last few years I have built several web applications that only provide API access for mobile devices. While doing so, I have learnt certain best practices and certain oddities about which I am not entirely sure. It will be nice to bring them out in front of Python community and see if they hold water.